Friday, December 21, 2007

Merry Churchmas

I am almost 30. This will be my first year ever of not attending Christmas Mass at one of the few Catholic churches in my home town. I used to lovingly force my non-believer husband to go with me to mass on Christmas. In a few past years, too, I have gone with my family or by myself to 2-hour Christmas vigil masses. I used to think wow, no good believer should EVER miss Christmas mass...its like the queen-mother of all holy days and God will be watching to see whose been naughty and whose been nice and went to honor Him...in church.

When you attend regular mass and then go to Christmas mass - the church is packed with "Holiday Catholics" - those who only attend church on Christmas and Easter, which, in a way, seems even more hypocritical for some reason than a regular churchgoer, but I digress from my point...

I have felt some sadness when I hear Christmas music as of late. Yes, I will miss the "smells and bells" of a dimly lit church filled with Christmas hymns and the smoky clinging of the incense lantern as it is being swung to and fro around the altar by the priest. This type of experience was always part of the landscape of my life. More than a feeling of passing sadness is a greater feeling of what I can only describe as a validated peace in quiet Truth. I plan on having my own meditative moments at home as my "new mass".

As God can see me sitting in silence on my couch in my house on Christmas and know the pining I have in my heart for Him and the utter gratitude of sending his Son as the ultimate loving sacrifice, so can God see the person in a noisy church at Christmas mass in the front pew, gossiping to her friend next to her, straightening her husband's tie and thinking to herself "I am so glad I got this Ann Taylor blouse half-off...now everyone can see how sharp I look." Yes, I will be fine having a dedication to God in the privacy of my home.

"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." -- Matthew 6:6

I think as social animals in a church setting -- and anyone who has been knows exactly what I'm talking about -- people get distracted from the point of being in church to honor Christ and simply get caught up in "people watching". Will I see anyone I know? How can I avoid shaking the sick person's hand next to me during the Sign of Peace? That guy behind me is so hot! Yes, among masses, Christmas mass is a HUGE distraction from true prayer and meditation in drawing closer to God. Sad that so many don't confront this fact within themselves and are conditioned to feel such GUILT to attend church. I know. I've been there and felt that. That whole guilt thing keeps the money rolling in for the diocese. All churches take out ads in the newspapers in the month of December, gently chastising you to get your ass to church on Christmas. It's big business.

Aside from the church issues I have -- which is about a truckload worth -- I have just as many issues with the whole gift-giving culture Christmas has become. I don't have the time or energy to expound on the bastardized commercial this holiday has become, but I do want to share as my gift to you, dear reader, the following item that you may (laughing) consider purchasing for the holidays...I give you the God Robot.



This little number out of Japan offers the dweeby nerd the know-how to pray to God and gain the love of his dream girl (as seen on the box, I apologize for the small photo). After all, if you don't pray you are doomed to heartbreak. LOL.

Unbelievable that this is an actual item, isn't it?

Seriously, may God bless you with a clarity of spirit and a knowledge of his eternal grace, reader.

See you in 2008.

1 comment:

Collins said...

Adbusters always calls for a 'buy nothing Christmas' each year and put out a documentary called 'what would jesus buy'. They also offer free christmas card downloads. We should try them next year.

I loving refer to thus gluttonously consumer nightmare 'winter shopping season' rather than Christmas, as it seems the cultural traditions of gift giving have taken over the religious beginnings of this day.

I'm interested in hearing about how you replaced your church ritual with a home ritual, and want to apologize that I was not more helpful or supportive to you in this first Christmas away from 'home'.