Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Like A Virgin

At the farmers market in Paris I went up to the cart of lovely looking pears and as I reached for one, my husband gasped "No, no - don't touch them, here you must only point at the one you want. You aren't supposed to pick them up. It's a faux pas to do that."

"Oh, ok." So I pointed to a glistening pear that looked nice and ripe. The man behind the cart put it in a bag for me and we were on our way. At Luxembourg Gardens we sat to down to eat our freshly bought fare.

I pulled out the lovely green pear, turned it over, and found on the side I couldn't see or touch a nice darkened soft rotten spot.

Fabulous.

In the following article, chastity (somehow the word "purity" is used intermittently with "chastity" - honestly, I can't really make the connection - more on that later) with relation to girls is that pedestal title which is being overseen or managed by their fathers. There are "Purity Balls" which are ceremonies held as a type of father-daughter bonding time where the girls sign a covenant, promising to be chaste before marriage, and wherein the fathers also sign and promise to make sure their daughters remain chaste before marriage.

Hmmm. Control much?

I see this simply as a method to control women within militant religious confines. I think it is kind of sick, really. A pre-teen is obviously not at the age of consent to have sex, BUT also not yet equipped to make the PROMISE not to have sex or even KISS before marriage. I think it is an oppressionist regime that will focus on keeping girls virgins and not mention one iota of a boy's virginity. What of the mother's involvement?

In taking this farce a step further, these girls have been disillusioned into thinking that they should not even kiss a boy before marriage. I take the following quote from this article:

“Once I’ve found a man, I think I might want to get to know him a little better,” she said. “I’ll take him to my dad for inspection and he’ll spend a lot of time with my dad, then maybe I’ll do group-dating with friends and go out to dinner with our parents. If girls don’t have a relationship with their fathers, they’ll turn to other males, and that will often end in heartbreak and anguish.”

What? Take him to your dad for inspection?! My God, what about what YOU THINK? Don't you have minds of your own? The whole father-daughter relationships in these cases is wrought with weird controlling, even pseudo-sexual undertones, for me.

History and nature has taught that it is kind of a teenage daughter's job - to break further away from the parents, to rebel a little and to find her own way. If a girl is to know what she wants, she must test the waters. I think a girl can "shop around" to know what she wants and not go completely crazy. No sex and she's a naive girl with no experience, no information, nothing to compare to and possibly, fear. Too much sex and she's considered a whore. I think there is a relatively safe middle ground here that can achieved.

A woman's sexuality is an important part of a woman's life. To suppress the growth of that sexuality for the sole purpose of entering into an institutional arrangement for the sake of holding title of "the first and only" is not only a dangerous and naive stance to take for the woman because she doesn't know what she is doing and has nothing to compare to, but she is settling. She will settle into a realm of "what if's" and will be sorely disappointed in the end. A controlling man would not want his wife to know what it is like to kiss other men that came before him, because that would empower her with knowledge. With experience. With the ability to compare.

I think sex is but one of many steps on the path up the Relationship Mountain. Sex, in the eyes of these militant folk, IS the mountain. It is an unhealthy view to think that sex is the holy of holies because in their physical want to HAVE sex, these girls will marry the first guy who will wait a little bit for them. Not necessarily the RIGHT guy. They will suppress their biological urges for the sake of men - their fathers, their future husbands - but without the reciprocal rules for the men to follow. Gee, that's rather unfair.

While I don't get the staying-a-virgin-before-marriage thing, I REALLY don't get the not kissing a guy before marriage. A kiss is a beautiful thing that SHOULD be experienced by a teenage girl. It is part of the rite of passage in a girl's life: to remember your first kiss, to recall the humorous moments of a bad kiss, etc.

As a feminist, in this age of disease, of course it is important to be vigilant about who EITHER sex chooses to sleep with. I don't think it is a tool for usury or should be a flippant action devoid of true feelings, however, I think it is a natural act and that not all people are compatible and find out in the course of ...intercourse. Just as I think living together is necessary to find out if the two people in question CAN live with each other. As a precursor to marriage, these things need to be found out. Statistically, the majority of people who have not lived with each other before marriage are doomed to failure.

In this article, the author writes:

I couldn’t help suggesting to one trio of sisters, aged nine, 13 and 17, that they might need to kiss a lot of frogs before they found their handsome prince – but such remarks merely produced frowns. One of them spelt out the word “adultery” silently on her fingers and informed me that it was the core of the seventh commandment.

I think to kiss a few boys before finding one's Prince Charming can hardly be construed as "adultery" in any sense of the word, nor is there evidence that it will lead to adultery in the future. So what will happen if you only pick and point before buying - chances are really good that they will turn out to be rotten fruit.

If I were to have married the first guy I kissed, I guarantee I would be nothing short of miserable. If I were to have married the first guy I slept with, I guarantee I would be nothing short of miserable. Before our engagement, my husband and I agreed that the "asking for permission" is nothing short of calling me a possession owned by my father, so we skipped that little tradition which would have insulted my womanhood. Heck, I kept my last name in partial defiance of being considered a "patriarchal possession". Purity? I think I have a pure heart. I try to be pure of mind and thought. I am pure in my kindness and consideration to others. I am pure in my love for God and am pure in my belief that He loves me back. Virgin or not.

I think the biblical view of women remaining virgins is a cultural and era-driven idea. There are no dowries to be had for a virgin in 2008. The idea of purity should be properly used to describe one's spirituality and how they treat others and the world. A girl can be a virgin who has never kissed...and be the bitchiest, conniving devil the world has seen. So, where's the purity in that?

A virgin army proclaiming the thrill of the chaste: The American ‘purity movement’ is growing fast. Meets the girls who won’t even kiss before marriage and their highly protective fathers

Jane Treays - September 21, 2008 – Times Online - It would be a mistake to draw hasty conclusions from Lauren Wilson’s appearance. This is a woman who tosses her long, glossy hair as she speaks and bats her long eyelashes – even at me. A glamourpuss who admits, with a coy smile, that she is actually a bit of an icon to her peers. But this poised 22-year-old is no small-town seductress. In Colorado Springs, a city in a very religious corner of the American Midwest, she is admired principally for her virtue: not only was she a virgin when she married her boyfriend Brett, but she had never even kissed him – a deed accomplished for the first time in front of a cheering congregation. “There was something so special to know that we’d waited,” she told me. “I mean, a kiss awakens everything, and all of a sudden everything within you just wants to respond. We have no regrets. ” Young women like Lauren are no great rarity in the United States these days. In fact, one in six girls aged between 12 and 18 is estimated to have taken a “purity” pledge. Some wear a silver ring to signal their intention to remain chaste, but others take the concept much further, vowing to be pure in all aspects of their behaviour. Lauren’s sister Khrystian, a 21-year-old musician with long blonde hair, explained: “Purity for me is purity of the mind, purity of speech. It’s what I spend my time doing: emotional purity in the heart. It’s a complete wholeness. I have chosen a higher standard for my life.” The sheer numbers in the purity movement are making these aspirations more than a pipe dream: if the people you know share your deep-seated beliefs, then you’re less likely to succumb to temptations. They even have their own teen idols – such as the Jonas Brothers, the pop band composed of three virginal brothers, who were so rashly mocked by the British comedian Rus-sell Brand at the MTV awards. And there are plenty of ordinary teenage boys and young men who are also prepared to wait. In these circles, those who fall pregnant before marriage can be all but ostracised. One young woman I spoke to – a former beauty queen – got pregnant when she was 19. “The guilt was awful. Mum cried, I cried, my dad started to cry – that’s hard,” said Jessica, her eyes filling with tears eight years after the event. “Ever since then, my mom treats me as a lesser person. She still doesn’t think I’m capable of making my own decisions.” Jessica, who miscarried her baby, now lives “in sin” with a boyfriend; she is 27, but her parents refuse to see him and have told her “he can go to hell”. One can only imagine what the good people of Colorado Springs think of Bristol Palin, the pregnant 17-year-old daughter of John McCain’s running mate – but their sympathy will definitely be with the girl’s parents. Even the purity movement’s rituals – I witnessed one father giving solemn blessings to five daughters in turn – hark back to another age. I’d gone to Colorado Springs in May for Channel 4 to film a group of girls, one of them aged just five, as they prepared for the annual Father-Daughter Purity Ball at the Broad-moor hotel. This ball is considered the apogee of the purity movement. Dressed in elegant gowns, the girls arrived with their dates – their fathers. Then, to the accompaniment of Hollywood film scores, they gathered round a large wooden cross to pledge their troth to remain pure. Taking a leading role was Randy Wilson, the father of Lauren and Khrystian, who believes that the key to a girl’s purity – and future happiness – lies in the quality of her relationship with her dad. As a father of five girls ranging from five to 22, he reckons he knows a thing or two about raising women. “There is a core question that women have in their being, and that is: ‘Am I beauti-ful? Am I worthy of being pursued?’ ” he explained. “It must be enforced by the father, the man in their life. If they do not get that reinforced by the father, they will go outside the home to get the answer to that question.” It was Randy and his wife, Lisa, who came up with the idea of the ball – now in its ninth year and attended by about 130 girls. Mothers are also invited, but often don’t come, and there is usually a smattering of brothers. A three-course dinner, without alcohol, is followed by the signing of a covenant: each dad intones: “I choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity.” Typical of the fathers was Ken Lane, a purity devotee who invited me to his white-carpeted home and introduced me to his daughter Hannah, 11. “It sounds unrealistic in our day and age,” he acknowledged. “It’s not the exact path I went down personally – but if it can work, how cool would it be to say that I kissed but one man in my life? Why not shoot for the fairy tale?” Hannah shifted slightly under her father’s gaze when I asked her about dating. “Once I’ve found a man, I think I might want to get to know him a little better,” she said. “I’ll take him to my dad for inspec- tion and he’ll spend a lot of time with my dad, then maybe I’ll do group-dating with friends and go out to dinner with our parents. If girls don’t have a relationship with their fathers, they’ll turn to other males, and that will often end in heartbreak and anguish.” I couldn’t help suggesting to one trio of sisters, aged nine, 13 and 17, that they might need to kiss a lot of frogs before they found their handsome prince – but such remarks merely produced frowns. One of them spelt out the word “adultery” silently on her fingers and informed me that it was the core of the seventh commandment. I asked another girl what she would do if she didn’t like the way her husband kissed her at the altar. She looked thoughtful, then brightened. “I probably would – he’ll probably take care of that one. He’ll probably kiss really good. I hope.” During my 10 days in Colorado Springs, I couldn’t help but register the sweetness of the girls, the complete lack of teenage truculence. There’s no straining at the parental leash, no desire to escape and experiment; they are, in short, a delight. Jane Austen is their cultural heroine, with films such as Sense and Sensibility endorsed as an ideal family-viewing choice. Everywhere I turned, I found sentimentality and scant curiosity about the world. The innocence of the parents was more alarming. An army doctor, who had two daughters on his arm, told me that the HIV virus was so powerful, it could penetrate a con- dom. I said the British government had based its entire antiAids ad campaign on the assumption it couldn’t. A few days later, after doing some research on the internet, he rang to say he’d been wrong. To cynical Brits, the intensity of the relationship between the girls and their fathers can be unsettling. It is too trite, however, to label such relationships quasi-incestuous: these fathers are motivated wholly by a desire to remain a strong, controlling influence in their daughters’ lives. For now, the purity movement is too young for anyone to assess whether it leads to happier marriages or fewer divorces. Courtships tend to be quick. Young men are vet- ted by the fathers, and many suitors seek permission to marry within weeks. They may be madly in love – but they may also be suffering from extreme sexual frustration. Six weeks after the Father-Daugh- ter Purity Ball, Randy e-mailed me to say that Khrystian had just become engaged to a Captain Chad Lewis. She will have her first kiss in December on her wedding day.

7 comments:

Myer Monster said...

Yeah, I think the purity balls are waaaay creepy. It's another one of those things that makes sex, and loving your own body taboo. Even for me growing up in a very loosely catholic home, it took a long time to get over the guilt of sex, that is instilled in us very young. I can't imagine what these girls are in for. The guilt and bad feelings about how sex is wrong aren't going to magically disappear on their wedding nights.

SM said...

Totally. The damage being done here is something I'm not sure that even years of therapy can undo. You're right. The world doesn't change on their wedding night. They will wake up being the same person they were. I think its a huge build-up to a non-event.

These ridiculous customs establish the false idea that only those with penises dominate & decide as well as divide & conquer.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you all have grossly misunderstood this article. First, the daughters don't make the pledge - their dads do. They pledge to be role models in the area of purity for their daughters. Second, you are assuming these girls are associating sex with sin, when most are being taught sex is the most beautiful (because it was created by God) when you wait until you are married.

I am a perfect example of the happy medium person you described that wasn't a virgin on her wedding day, but wasn't a whore either. However, I carried a lot of unnecessary baggage into my marriage and it took years to sort through it all until I finally gave it to God. We all draw from our own personal experiences and as a mother, I am showing my daughters a better way because I want the BEST for them. I wonder if you will think differently when you have daughters of your own.

SM said...

Thanks for commenting, Anon.

It is apparent that this article is subjective and each reader will come away with something different. As a feminist I see the father trying to protect the daughter from the evils of premarital sex as *mentally* doing more harm than good. Not only does the girl who grows up to have premarital sex carry the stigma of this 'goal of purity' that counters her very nature but now she has to carry the guilt of 'letting daddy down'. My eyes see this as a tool of the patriarchy, after all, what about the purity of the sons? If it truly was a father trying to set an example in the purest way, he would visibly set this standard for his sons as well as his daughters, right? The underlying theme I read into is that the girls are weak and need extra protection.

Growing up I also labored under the delusion that sex only after being married was the ultimate of ultimates. But as I grew up I realized it is merely a step upon the mountain and not the mountain itself.

I'm always hearing that becoming a mother changes the way one thinks and I appreciate that you shared your personal experience and how you can apply this theory of purity to your own kids. I, however, have absolutely no desire to have children (I am deliriously happy being an auntie). God did not instill those mother-yearning-tendencies in me and my husband feels exactly the same and had a vasectomy to solidify our decision.

People's experiences shape how it is read and I happen to read it differently from you. So, my childfree feminist views remain and I hope you can understand that this article is only misunderstood in subjective terms.

Best of luck and God bless!

Cecil said...

To Anonymous,

Firstly. I hold little respect to the the anonymous on the internet. The same certainly goes for you. It's so easy to zip by and "tag" a blog with your nonsense and then move on.

Also in the article it says "In fact, one in six girls aged between 12 and 18 is estimated to have taken a “purity” pledge. " THE GIRLS TAKE THE PLEDGE. The fathers also take a pledge to "ENFORCE" that the girls are "worthy of being pursued." I don't care how you look at this through the lens of religion, it is totally screwed up. A young girl gets taken to a purity ball with the father as the date and the father is there to say he'll be the one reinforcing the girls self esteem. I don't care how you color this, or use the argument from authority 'when you have kids you'll get it....' it still gives me the creeps.

And the girls are being rejected by their families when the do have sex before marriage. It looks like the fathers are there to reinforce that the girls are sinners, huh?

This Victorian vision of sex needs to be rejected by society as a whole. Unwanted pregnancies, STD carriers, and single mothers are not an under represented portion of our population. The religious right has tried to make sex out of wedlock an evil, thus creating more and more problems through promoting abstinence. Abstinence is ignorance. There is no other way to say it. The best way to fail when solving a problem is to approach it with ignorance.

Zombaggedon said...

I love this stuff.
Purity? Really? That's where we are now? Really? All right..Let's Play.

So if one assumes that a purity pledge is taken, as the article suggests, to act as some kind of moral insurance policy sothat the young lady in question remains sexually chaste before marriage, then one must assume that sex outside of marriage renders one impure. But its actually worse than that. These folks are suggesting in word and deed that its not just the act of sex itself outside of marriage, but any kind of sexual contact, kissing as stated in the article, which is avoided so as to preserve the purity of these innocent young ladies. What a delightful message to send to the youth. Sex renders one unclean, soiled, impure, if that sexual contact occurs outside of the bounds of holy matrimony. That is an awfully heavy and irreversible burden to put on young ladies. Consider for a moment that purity defined this way is an all or nothing proposition. A virgin is pure. A girl who is not a virgin soiled. If a girl gives in to her desires, desires that are programmed by such wimpy forces as biology and society, and kisses a boy, or sleeps with one, then she is impure. Forever. You cannot take your virginity back after all, so now this poor girl, who made a decision she may regret, is impure for life. Even marriage will not erase this past, and so redemption is not hers to have. Smart move parents.
But lets keep going for a moment here. What if a girl is raped? Is the victim now to be considered impure? If it is the act of sex that soils a girl, then surely she will be soiled eve if she is raped. Assuming this is the case, the victim of a hateful crime now gets to live with an additional burden of shame brought upon her by well-meaning but tragically ill-informed parents. Surely the argument will be made that she is not impure because she didn't consent to the sex acts and therefore cannot be held responsible. But purity isn't the same thing as responsibility is it? Purity is a judgment of the cleanliness, wholeness, and completeness of a thing. Not whether someone has behaved responsibly. Maybe I'd be more inclined to be gentle if these were called responsibility pledges, but they are not, and let's not forget that the words we use to describe a thing define it. So by this standard rape victims are impure. How kind. How christian.
It also stands out to me that there is a pretty huge element missing in these purity pledges. Why aren't men escorted to the local Moose lodge to stand in front of the symbol of their creator's torture and execution and asked to pledge their own purity? Is it only girls that can be rendered impure, or is it that only girls are responsible for their sex lives? Maybe its the presence of the penis inside of something that renders one impure. Better be careful shaking hands guys.
Finally, are we really supposed to sign on to the idea that father knows best when it comes to guiding his daughters through the turbulent waters of female sexual desire, dating, and affairs of the heart? Simply put, what the fuck? Wouldn't mom be better equipped to relate to the unique pressures put on women in this arena and thus better able to appreciate and guide her daughter through these tough times? After all, dad is a man, and men don't have to take purity pledges so what the hell do they know about being an abstinent woman?

Finally, the below articles. IT'S NOT WORKING YOU NINNIES!
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/21606.php
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28415602/

Collins said...

What is up with you getting blog-punched?

Christ, where are these people coming from?

anyway, pretty much nuff said....

... isn't this the kind of idea that leads to Muslim women being 'mercy' killed, and stoned to death in the streets for having 'lost their honor' by force?

Not a good idea... count me out.

And being a mother does NOT have to change you. It can, but people who say it will change your sway are WRONG. and stupid. And presumptuous.

Go vasectomy. and Go premarital sex. That is all.