Thursday, September 27, 2007

Intermission

I would like to take a moment to say that though I may sound extremely angry in writing these posts, I have not become Anti-Catholic. A lot of good has come from the Church and when it comes down to brass tacks, it gives many people the sanctuary they need. For me, it has been a stepping stone to a higher level of spirituality, so I feel it was necessary to gain the foundation it gave me. Like a child living at home who is ready to become an adult, I finally left. It is certainly not without fond memories and a basis for belief. My family is still Catholic and it was tough coming out to my parents.

But, as someone who knows and has been raised in that system, I can see the flaws clear as day and can look back and see where it also caused damage to me --my self-esteem and my concept of self as a 'sinful' thing. As a woman I became increasingly aware of the female-repressiveness from the Church than a man would. I can't change my gender, but I can change my surroundings. Even Jesus hung out with women and presumably treated them as equals rather than servants back in the day when it carried risk of social scandal. The Church does not see men and women as equals. I put in 29 years... and now, well, as a Recovering Catholic, I feel I have a right to bitch.

No comments: