Friday, February 22, 2008

Two Recommended Tidbits

The first time I heard this song, I was just on the "break up point" with the Catholic Church and was also upset over my younger sister's unplanned pregnancy....and the lyrics really touched me, applying to each of these scenarios. And I had a hard time accepting and letting them be for a long time. These instances that I distressed over were really just instances that were meant to be.

The song Little Wonders by Rob Thomas

Let your clarity define you
In the end
You will only just remember how it feels

--------------------

A book that I feel is a stunning allegory of Divine Love is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. The tree, for me, is a great metaphor for a parent...or God. Always willing to give and give.

The story is a short moral tale about a relationship between a young boy and a tree in a forest. The tree and the boy become best friends. The tree always provides the boy with what he wants: branches to swing from, shade to sit under, apples to snack on, branches to build a house. As the boy grows older and older he requires more and more of the tree. The tree loves the boy very much and gives him anything he asks for. In the ultimate act of self-sacrifice, the tree lets the boy cut her down so the boy can build a boat in which he can sail. The boy leaves the tree, now a stump. Many years later, the boy, now an old man, returns and the tree says "I have nothing left to give you". The boy replies that all he needs is a quiet place to sit and rest as he awaits death. The tree happily obliges. (Summation courtesy of Wikipedia)

The book The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Available for about $12 at Amazon

2 comments:

Zombaggedon said...

Great. Just great. Now I feel bad for a tree. Yeah. That's what I need. To feel weepy for a tree.

SM said...

LOL - it was bound to happen sooner or later.