Thursday, October 2, 2008

Streets & Hallways

I was walking home from work yesterday. A car parked on the street had a sticker in the back window. It simply read:

Love Wins

I thought it was a cool statement. And I agree. In the end I believe it does.

Here's a sad reality, though. I've been holding onto a bumper sticker of my own for a long time.

This is it:







Like 9 months I've had this sticker. We recently bought a BMW sport utility vehicle and now my husband and I are afraid that, living in Chicago and making frequent trips to the suburbs and even rural Illinois might invite someone who may or may not be a redneck who disagrees with the peaceful message of my bumper sticker (and is likely uneducated) to take a key to my car. It is expensive to get something like that fixed ...perhaps not just once...but over and over? I am not up for testing this out. Unfortunately, our fear prevailed and we left it off. I love this bumper sticker's message. I just wish I could be certain that its message wouldn't be too overwhelming for some folk.

Here's something else I wanted to touch upon:

I once read (and had heard other places before) that monks and nuns, when walking down a hallway, always walk on the side, near one wall or the other....they never walk right down the middle of the hallway because they think that is a display of vanity. While this behavior is not outlined in the bible, I can only imagine it was something concocted in the middle ages.

You exist and you take up room. That's what happens when you live. Why should I loathe that I exist? Their avoidance of the center appears almost as an apology for their existence. So, in the spirit of believing that God loves me, so I should, therefore, love myself - and take care of myself - and believe in myself and have confidence, I make it a point to walk right down the center of any hallway I come across.

Take that, monks and nuns!

2 comments:

Zombaggedon said...

Monks and Nuns also abstain from sex. Not a typically sustainable decision were it to be made standard practice for the rest of us. Monks and Nuns should also abstain from getting fat so that they just take up as little room as possible, otherwise their occupation of space with body mass would cause their vanity quotient to skyrocket. No, they should go further. If they really wanted to make sure that they werent' taking up room and being vain in the process, they would simply VOIP out of corporeal existence and become floating balls of ethereal light, hovering benevolently in the air. From now on, whenever practical, I'm going to try and make it a point to walk down hallways with my arms outstretched, and if I see a nun or monk, to edge them into the corner, or if possible, force them into a locker in a high school gym for their dumbassery

SM said...

I can't stop laughing as I envision your arms outstretched going down a hallway, collecting laypeople to shove into a corner.

Good point on the "not getting fat" clause. Many clergy partake in the overindulgence of one vice or another, like food or alcohol, to offset the lack of sexual activity in their lives. I don't think that achieves the life balance God intended for us...

And thanks again for reading!