Thursday, March 27, 2008

And Another Thing

The Old Testament's theme was "be good" but the New Testament's theme is to also "do good".

I agree with Ken R. Vincent, author of The Golden Thread: God's Promise of Universal Salvation when he writes that one of the arguments against Universal Salvation in both ancient and modern times has been that if everyone goes to Heaven -- as us Universalists claim --there would be no motivation to do good! However, modern scientific research into human development proves the opposite to be true. Love is a more powerful motivator than fear, and knowing that God is our ultimate parent inspires us to embrace the good and reject the bad.

I've found that since realizing Universal Salvation, I have contemplated God more often and more deeply than I ever had while following Catholic doctrine and attending church. I have removed the middleman and have achieved a closeness with the Spirit that I have never before felt. Having realized Universal Salvation, I don't feel compelled to go out and do any "extra sinning". On the contrary, I WANT to do better. I would love to volunteer at a food pantry or shelter, should I have the opportunity to move back to downtown Chicago (hopefully soon). And in light of recent events, I feel like I would like to write to my friend once he does go to prison to tell him about this Good News. I've never felt compelled to get "preachy" but the sorrow I feel over this situation can only be even mildly allayed if I do something good to offset it, something that would be 'good works'. I imagine that the isolation of being in prison will be a cloud of utter darkness, loneliness and despair for him and that he will have little to no contact with his family. And, let's be honest - his time might be short in prison as it is a fact that other inmates do not take kindly at all to child molestors. I feel pity for both parties. I feel pity for that entire family as they lost their oldest daughter in a plane crash in the late 90's and basically lost another child. I feel so overwhelmed with this message of Grace that if I can pour for him a little hope in correspondences, I will. If I can get an address, I will write to try and minister by mail.

We aren't expected to be perfect. It is actually in God's plan that, right now, we're not. By our downfall, God's mercy is shown and glory is given to Him through the love he shows sinners. Imagine that if one is perfect and God loves those who are perfect, the extraordinary and merciful characteristics of God are not really visible. Everyone loves those who love them. It is a bigger deal to love those who sin against you.

For God has imprisoned all in disobedience so that he may be merciful to all (Romans 11:32).

I needed clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' (Matthew 25:26)

3 comments:

Collins said...

I don't know what to say other than you are a far more gracious woman than I, and thank God for you.

Crazz said...

Yes, Sarah is much more forgiving than I could ever be. Pretty soon we'll be seeing her images appear on grilled cheese sandwiches!

SM said...

Or in the water stains in the walls of overpasses. Or in your bowl of Corn Flakes.