Monday, March 17, 2008

Holy See, Not Always Holy Do

"The unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as the unquestioned answers."

This will be my first year not attending mass on Easter Sunday. When asked how I feel about this I will tell you that I feel at peace and feel (not to sound arrogant) ...really enlightened. Things ideologically line up now. My experiences line up with my great epiphany: Universal Restoration. In lieu of Easter mass, I will spend some quiet time meditating and sending out my prayers of gratitude.

I went to an early Easter family get-together yesterday. I come from a family of hard-core churchgoers. I happened to overhear two of my very religious aunts talking. One is Catholic and one is a non-denom Christian. The non-denom was telling my Catholic aunt under hushed tones how the pastor had openly called someone out on their sins in front of the congregation during church. I tried to lean my ear in and listen as closely as possible, but someone else was talking to me. I can't imagine how anyone, sinner or not, deserves public humiliation in a house of worship?

Many churches these day, which IDEALLY should be places of love and peace, are being turned into venues of political soapboxing. Now, as a church drop-out, I can only look at these situations and shrug...and return to my own moments of solace and meditation to find balance. But I can recall being in church many times when the priest would scold the congregation left and right. I would leave feeling down. I feel bad for those are psychologically tethered and obligated to go to church, despite the abuse and guilt that, week after week, gets heaped upon them. I wish I could hug those people whose cheeks are red and hot with the shame of being called out publicly on their private sins...so I can joyfully tell them what they are needing to hear from church: The Good News.

2 comments:

Zombaggedon said...

This kills me. It's like some folks micro manage faith. Wasn't the overarching message we were supposed to get from the example of Jesus' life one one tolerance (I seem to remember some whores and thieves he'd include on the heaven guest list) and love? Shouldn't tolerance and love supercede intolerance and sin-obsession? Jesus, and I could be wrong here, if I remember right, was far more concerned with spreading the word of love, tolerance, and acceptance and spent significantly less time berating people for minor personal shortcomings. But what do I know. I'm going to hell anyway.

Crazz said...

Those types of stories fill me with dread and despair as I prepare to look for churches for the trips to attend. I really want them to belong to a community, but my fear is that I will never be satisfied with any church because of shit like you've described. I really believe that 85-95% of churches are basically selfish, intolerant, and mean.

And the holidays seem to bring out the worst in these situations.