Thursday, March 27, 2008

Coal & Diamonds

When the chief priests and the elders question Jesus' authority, he declares that, "tax collectors and prostitutes are going to the kingdom of God ahead of you" (Matthew 21:31)

The key word here is "ahead" not "instead", asserting that ALL will reach the Kingdom.


"All flesh shall know the salvation of God." (Luke 3:6)

Very recently, it came to be that a family friend whom I grew up with and considered my brother was arrested, confessed and found guilty of multiple counts of child molestation of four children within his own family. He is looking at serving 25 years to life. In many ways his life is over...at the very early age of 28. Everyone is devastated and never thought in a million years this would happen. It has torn his family apart and has hurt the hearts of those who have known him. No one can conceive of what would compel him to commit such a heinous crime.

I think that, while we have many questions, and, in a time like this, can easily doubt the existence of a just God who would permit this to happen, we are also looking at the situation through a very narrow lens. If we were able to pull back far enough to view the scope of the entire, say, next 25 years in a single scene, it might be different. We don't have the view and the blueprint of time past and future that God has. I think that evil can only be the means used to bring about the end --good. These are the contrasts of life. This is how we are educated in the art of pain. We need to know pain to appreciate the bliss we will all eventually come to know through God's grace, otherwise it wouldn't be called grace. The medicine tastes bad but is for our benefit. And one day we won't need the medicine.

It is often when we look back at a series of unfortunate and seemingly unforgiveable events, that the eventual outcome is something positive and those trials can be credited for bringing about a greater good. I have faith that the blackness of the cheap coal times that cause indescribable pressure will always produce a diamond in the end. This is nature's way. This is God's way. And these diamonds come in many forms. In this heartbreaking situation, I'm confident that the diamonds are still in the formative stages. [Sidenote: this young man had lived and was arrested in a town called Coal City...which is right next to a town called Diamond. An ironic coincidence?]

As Universalism is the Truth I have come to know, I believe this misled young man who I still love like a brother will come to be purified and redeemed. No act on this earth warrants a punitive eternity. Not Hitler's act, not Saddam Hussein's, not anyone's. Our time is limited and the idea to punish finite evil with eternal evil is irrational in terms of unconditional love...which is what God is. The idea of an eternity in "hell" is simply man's idea of justice. That concept comforts those who don't have the capacity to forgive. It is a damaging stance to take, but understandably a human one. Admittedly, it is easy for me to declare these ways as an outside party to this situation. If I were involved directly and had children who were violated, it would be a much, MUCH more jagged pill to swallow. I think limitations were put on our capacity to forgive in order for our eventual full completion of grace and forgiveness to be like the finale in a fireworks display. It is cliche, but everything does happen for a reason (just not our reasons) including the most rock-bottom devastating events. We can't see it yet, we weren't meant to see it yet. It hurts so much because it is supposed to.

For the Lord will not reject forever. Although He causes grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of His steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone. (Lamentations 3:31-33)

Shall I ransom them from the power of Sheol? Shall I redeem them from death? O Death, where are your plagues? O Sheol, where is your destruction? Compassion is hidden from my eyes (Hosea 13:14). I will heal their disloyalty; I will love them freely, for my anger has turned from them (Hosea: 14:4).

2 comments:

Crazz said...

If that should ever happen to one of my children, I will know it is God's plan to have the offender at his side only moments after I get in arms reach.

I recently had to deal with this in far greater detail than I knew. I find no great plan or sense of purpose to these actions, only evil acts that have nearly destroyed an innocent child and turned that child into a poorly functioning adult.

Even as I write this bile rises within me and I feel the need to channel my anger and hatred elsewhere. I'm happy that you can look at it as productively as you can, I however see in myself the Lord's Spirit of Vengeance.

SM said...

You are a parent. Parents are typically highly reactive when someone harms their child, so I can understand how you feel, for sure...